A note on purchasing the appropriate supplies: Organic yoni steaming herbal blends & handmade wooden steaming stools are available through our sister shop, The Empowered Woman.
Yoni steaming has been a buzz word for the past year, and I always giggle to myself how these ancient practices tend to resurface in our modern culture. We are going back to our roots!
The practice we now call 'Yoni-Steaming' has been adapted from ancient vaginal steam practices in Africa, India, Mozambique, Thailand, and Indonesia.
Around the globe the practice is the same; specific herbs are chosen for the individual, placed in a pot with water, warmed to make a hot tea, cooled until the correct temperature, and placed below the woman to receive the steam on her vulva and in the vaginal tract.
There are many benefits to yoni steaming! Most importantly the herbal steam assists in cleansing and detoxifying the uterus, cervix, and vagina. It can assist in regulating the menstrual cycle, healing after childbirth, and soothing the vagina from intercourse. Plus there is no limit to the benefits it has on the Vagus Nerve, engaging the parasympathetic nervous system to activate rest + digest mode.
Yoni Steaming is a practice that should be done with attentiveness, to ensure it is navigated safely. We are, afterall, working with delicate body parts!
- The correct herbs need to be researched before beginning. Carefully study the herbs and their uses before deciding to use them in a personal steam blend. If you feel unsure, consult with a professional (naturopath, doctor, etc). Our sister shop offers specially formulated organic herbal blends here.
- The temperature of the steam needs to be cooled down considerably before being placed below the woman. The vulva and vagina consist of delicate tissue, in turn they are sensitive to hot steam. Test the steam on your wrist and thigh to ensure it is the correct temperature!
- The posture of the woman is important. A steaming stool is ideal, but this practice can be done with just a pot and some pillows, if this is all you have.
- Yoni Steaming should NOT be done during menstruation. In this phase the Uterus is in a natural process of shedding and downward movement, we do not want to interrupt this process. Wait until you have stopped bleeding completely before steaming.
- Steaming should not be done too frequently, as not to disrupt the natural bacteria and biorhythms of our vulvas. I like to steam 2-3 times a month. Always the day after I finish menstruation, and sometimes the day after sex or ovulation.
Let's dive into the process!
Step 1) Choosing the appropriate herbs:
Here is a list of my favorite herbs for steaming. Again, all herbs should be researched personally before being added to your personal steam blend. Remember the herbal blends will change if you are trying to conceive, get pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- Mugwort: Aid suppressed or late menstruation by assisting the uterus to shed. Assists in balancing the hormonal system, and is supportive to healing the uterine lining. Great to steam with if your period is late.
- Nettle: Rich in iron, deeply nourishes the vaginal tissue, great for after sex or childbirth.
- Rosemary: Increases blood circulation to the reproductive organs. Perhaps most importantly, it is an antiseptic and cleanses out old fluids and blood. This is a great herb for purifying post menstrual phase.
- Lemon Balm: An incredible herb to relieve itchiness and smell.
- Red Raspberry Leaf: Strengthens and tones the uterine lining, while also assisting to relax the uterus and pelvis. This herb is safe for pregnancy and has long been used in steams to assist in preparing for childbirth, and healing during postpartum.
- Calendula: Known as a potent tissue healer and anti-inflammatory, this pregnancy safe herb gently softens + soothes the tissue.
- Motherwort: Amazing in its assistance with easing cramps and pain relief, and aiding relaxation.
All of these herbs are utilized in the various organic steaming blends available here.
The list of herbs for specific steaming purposes is endless, and I highly recommend researching which herbs can assist you for your situation.
Step 2) Preparing the Environment
Yoni steaming is a powerful practice, and many women enjoy journalling, meditating, or listening to calm music during the steam.
I like to choose a quiet room, dim the lights, light some incense, and put on some music.
Step 3) Choosing your Position
You will need a throne to sit or squat over your steam. I love my steam stool, a small wooden stool with a hole cut through for the steam. But you can do it in many ways. The most important part is that you can be comfortable for 10-15 minutes in your position.
Some other positions include:
- Putting multiple pillows around the pot and kneeling
- A supported squat, with pillows or a couch to lean on.
- Using a large, tall pot. Cover the rim with towels. Sit directly on the rim of the pot.
Step 4) Making the Herbal Steam
Take your chosen herbs, and add them to a pot with a few inches of water.
Bring this to a boil, then cover and steep for 5-10 mins.
Test the steam with your wrist, and thigh, to ensure it has cooled down to an appropriate temperature.
When it's ready, place it in your throne.
Step 5) The Steam
Prepare yourself, I like to set an intention during my steam.
Get comfortable in your chosen position. You may need to use a blanket or a big skirt to wrap around your waist and pot to keep the steam in.
Relax into your steam and allow it to do its work!
That's it! Simple and effective, relearning ancient practices that our ancestors likely participated in too!
Vaginal Health is so important to pay attention to. We can rely on nature to provide us with herbal remedies to assist us on our healing journeys. To reclaim the health of our holistic beings!
To honor the ancient history of yoni steaming, I would like to include some other ways it has been used by women around the globe.
- Fertility: It has long been thought that steaming during the pre-ovulatory phase can assist in moistening the vagina and uterine membranes, so they are more receptive to conception!
- Birth Control + Abortifacients: Historically it is believed that steaming with certain herbs can assist in changing the environment of the vagina, creating non-ideal conditions for conception. (Please note although this has been done historically, many of the herbs can have side effects and are illegal in many countries.)
- Freshness + Smell: While in modern day we have grown accustomed to showering + bathing whenever we need to, historically this was not usually the case. Women would lean on floral herbs to steam and cleanse, and to assist with body odor, smells, and overall freshness.
I hope this article gave you some insight on the process and history of Yoni Steaming!
I absolutely love that as women, we are reclaiming practices that have been done for generations.
May we all use this practice to reconnect with our bodies, both externally and internally.
Written by Amber Jade